It’s been snowing hard in Eastern Oregon the last few weeks and to my surprise, overnight oats and smoothie bowls haven’t sounded as good as they normally do. I’ve been wanting warm and hearty meals that don’t instantly make me cold after eating them. I’ve also been on an egg and almond butter kick lately…which isn’t all that unusual for me. 😉
My craving for warm food, eggs, and almond butter is what initially propelled me to create these Apple Cinnamon Almond Oats. Not only is this dish warm but it’s also nutrient-dense, filling you up more than the average breakfast.
Healthy fats: coconut oil, almond butter, chia
Healthy carbohydrates: oats and apple
Healthy protein: egg and plain greek yogurt
And the benefits of these foods don’t stop there. Many of the ingredients provide more than one nutrient. For instance, greek yogurt is a great source of healthy fat (especially if you are buying full fat) and almond butter double dips as a protein source too.
All of that to say, this meal is well balanced and has you covered when it comes to the kind of energy your body needs to thrive at the start of the day.
I love the way the cinnamon and coconut oil work to enhance the fruity apple flavor, and how the almond butter tames the tanginess of the greek yogurt to create a delicious topping.
This recipe is fitting for sweet food lovers, as well as savory food lovers. Already, the recipe rides the line between the two. If you wish to make your oats less sweet, however, subtract honey or maple syrup. To make them more sweet, simply add more maple syrup or honey.
Depending on the size of your apple, you may find you don’t need or want to cut up the whole thing to have in your oatmeal. No problem! Try a couple slices of the apple dipped in almond butter plain, or in your almond butter/greek yogurt topping. You can also save the apples for later to have as a snack. There’s no right way.
Okay, now enough chatting. Below you can find the full recipe and directions to my Apple Cinnamon Almond Oats.
May your weekend be filled with belly laughs and love…and possibly these oats 😉
Apple Cinnamon Almond Oats
Servings: 1 Prep time: 5 min Total: 12 min
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 pink lady apple (or any apple)
- 1 cup almond milk (unsweet)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 egg
- Honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- Pumpkin seeds
- Cacao husk
- Wash and cut 3/4 of the apple into cubes
- Heat a small pan on medium/high.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium-size pot with the almond milk and wait for it to boil.
- Once the smaller pan is fully heated, add coconut oil and apples and mix frequently as they continue to soften.
- When your almond milk comes to a boil, add your oats, crack the egg in the pot, and bring to a simmer as you whisk the egg in with the other ingredients. Simmer the oats to your desired consistency.
- Add the cinnamon to your apples and once soft and caramelized, set to the side.
- Once your oats are just about to your liking you can add honey or maple syrup (less for a more earthy flavor, more for a fruity and sweet flavor), salt, chia seeds, and more cinnamon if you want it.
- Turn the heat off on the oats and mix in a small bowl, the greek yogurt, and almond butter. You can add a little more of whatever natural sugar choice you made prior or just leave as is.
- Place the oats in a bowl and top with the sauteed apples and yogurt/nut butter blend.
- For extra crunch or flavor, add some pumpkin seeds or cacao husk.
- Take a pretty picture and tag me on Instagram (@believingbeautiful), mix everything together, grab a spoon and enjoy!
Because messy food is the best food.